2012年3月18日日曜日

7 Tips for Better Reading Habits

“You are what you read.”

This summarizes my findings from reading. Here are 7 tips for better reading habits.
 

BACKGROUND
These days, we can read anything we are interested in. However, there are too many books. In addition, we have limited time for reading. Consequently, we have to choose books worth reading. So, the question is how do we choose these books from a selection of thousands? Also, how can we find the right place and time to read?

TIPS
1.       The objective of reading is to discipline ourselves to develop our intellectual ability.
Reading books is one of the best ways for us to discipline ourselves. In addition to that, we should expand our knowledge and broaden our horizons, and reading can help with this.

2.      The most effective approach is to read classics of a theme we are curious about.
These classics are worth reading because they’ve endured through the trials of time. Furthermore, classic materials give us a frame work and tend to be the starting point for a discussion. Moreover, these master pieces inspire us creatively. If you read someone’s complete works, it surely enriches your fountain of knowledge. I read the complete works of Niccolo Machiavelli one year ago, and it definitely expanded my insight into politics and human behavior.

3.      Hard material should be read at your desk.
Reading at your desk without interruption for hours is a precious yet rare time. When you want to read hard materials, it would be better to find such time. I sometimes grip a pen, draw lines in the book and write down my learning in a notebook. I need to read several times to understand the author’s thoughts from these types of books.  
(Ex. Niccolo Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, (1517), ; Hannah Arendt, The Human Condition, (1958). ; Carl von Clausewitz, On War, (1832). ; Levi-Strauss, Tristes tropiques, (1955).)

4.      Literature, novels, and other interesting books should be read for a rest.
When we take a rest from study, or after a meal, it is a good time for reading. I usually read some literatures, novels, and other interesting books about political and economic issues.
(Ex. James S. Fishkin, When the people speak -Deliberative Democracy and Public Consultation-, (2009). ; Elizabeth Haas Edersheim, McKinsey’s Marvin Bower (2004). ; Edited by McKinsey & Company, REIMAGINING JAPAN, (2011).)

5.      Paperbacks should be read on the train.
These days many people use their cell phones on the train. However, I still believe that reading a book is the best way to spend this time. I always carry one paperback in my bag. This paperback might have light contents because we have to stop reading when we change trains. I prefer reading literature on the train and in a café.
(Ex. Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace, (1869). ; Charles Dickens, David Copperfield, (1850).  ; Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov, (1880).)

6.      Studying is appropriate in bed just before going to sleep.
The thirty minutes before we go to sleep is the best time for studying. I usually read a history or a language study book.
(Ex.  A grammar book for TOEIC.)

7.      To keep a record of the books we read is very useful.
Every time I finish reading, I write down the author’s name, title, publisher, reader rating, and comments in my notebook. I also write a report on the book and submit it to my professor, or I post my comments on my blog. Reviewing is good training for me.
  
INDICATED ACTION
1.       Pursue development of intellectual ability. Go to the book store, and then pick up whatever you want to read. Then, spend time with the book.


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿